Monday, August 8, 2011

House Warming on a Budget

My childhood BFF recently bought her first home. She is one of the most amazing people I know and I really wanted to make an extravagant wreath for her housewarming party but it fell in line with my finals; therefore, I had not a lot of time but I still wanted to do something more thoughtful than a gift card. While browsing Pinterest I ran across a moss letter hanging on a door by a burlap bow, and bam! I found what I could manage to make my friend with the time (and money) I could afford. This project cost me roughly $5 per letter and about an hour of time per letter.

Now, I have mentioned Morgan, one of my favorite bloggers, here before and I feel obligated to mention that she has done the moss letter as well and her's is fabulously from her own brain. Me, I need inspiration.

I already had this light cinnamon paint, sponge, and
random piece of bubble wrap.


The letters I found at Michael's were white so I brushed the
paint on them dryly with the sponge brush so there was
practically no dry time.


Each letter was about $3.50 and I also used a 40% off
coupon I printed from Michael's' web site.
All you have to do is use a glue gun ON LOW (I can't stress this enough, I tried using the high setting to rush getting the "P" done at the end of the night and burned the snot out of my palm) and just glue and pat, glue and pat (the moss on, that is).


I bought moss from the Dollar Tree for $1 per bag and I only used a little over a half a bag for both letters combined. I got the black satin ribbon on sale for $1.99/spool at Michael's and thought it added a bit of sophistication to the "green" nature of this project. 

I used a staple gun to staple the ribbon to the back after I tried the bow where I deemed appropriate.

"D" for BFF's last name & included
a 3M Wall Hook w/ Command Adhesive
strip for no-muss hanging and removal.


"P" next to our front door
(I still had a DIY wreath from last year up)
Viola, friends! Enjoy!






2 comments:

  1. GAH. I LOVE. Mine is still sitting in the bottom of my craft pile. I never thought to add a ribbon and you know, actually GIVE the gift to my mom, haha! And seriously, you found the moss for a dollar!? So amazing! I always forget about the dollar store, but you can find some good stuff there sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I will have to remember this project when we move.

    ReplyDelete