Tuesday, February 22, 2011

$Make Your Own Laundry Detergent$



I had some requests to share how I make my own laundry detergent after posting a picture mid-process. This recipe came from my friend Jennifer who is always looking up cooky things like this, making your own hair conditioner, and other frugal/green projects. I love her for it! 


You need:


1 c. Borax
1 c. Washing soda
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap (found in laundry detergent aisle @ Publix)
1/2 qt. boiling water
1 gallon of water in a large container with a lid


First, I get the gallon of water ready and add the Borax and washing soda. Stir until powders dissolve.


Next, grate the Fels-Naptha as finely as you can.



Then, add the grated Fels-Naptha to the 1/2 qt boiling water and continue to stir and boil until melted.
*I always have chunks and never get the soap completely melted, this may be due to impatience. Just get it melted as much as possible.


Finally, add the melted soap to the gallon of water.


The soap will settle on top so you have to stir and stir and stir. The consistency will become thick and chunky, that's just fine. I find that this detergent gets better as you use it, consistency wise. We keep a slotted spoon in the detergent and stir the whole thing every time we do a load of laundry. It doesn't take it long to get to the type of consistency like store-bought.


I use a quarter cup of the detergent per load (large or super-sized).


This detergent gets our clothes clean, I never use stain fighter, but it doesn't leave your clothes smelling a particular way. They're just clean. We use fabric sheets, and I reuse the sheets as dusters when I'm cleaning around the house.


I hate that I forgot that coupon upon purchase!

All the supplies probably cost around $7, but the only thing you have to repurchase each time is the $0.99 bar of Fels-Naptha. My Borax and washing soda have lasted at least four batches and I have enough to make more. 








No comments:

Post a Comment